Syria forces behind chemical gas attack a

UN war crimes investigators say they have evidence that Syrian government forces were behind a chemical attack that killed scores of people in a rebel-held town in April, Al Jazeera report.

The UN Commission of Inquiry (COI) on Syria said on Wednesday it had gathered an “extensive body of information” showing that the Syrian air force was responsible for the sarin gas attack in Khan Sheikhoun.

“All evidence available leads the Commission to conclude that there are reasonable grounds to believe Syrian forces dropped an aerial bomb dispersing sarin in Khan Sheikhoun,” the report said.

At least 83 people, a third of them children, were killed and nearly 300 wounded in the attack on the town in the northern province of Idlib, it said. Other sources have given a death toll of at least 87.

Syria’s government has denied involvement and claims it no longer possesses chemical weapons after a 2013 agreement under which it pledged to surrender its chemical arsenal.

A fact-finding mission by the UN’s chemical watchdog, the OPCW, concluded earlier this year that sarin gas was used in the attack, but did not assign blame.

A joint UN-OPCW panel is currently working to determine whether Syrian government forces were behind the attack.